Tuesday, January 4, 2011

I'm Learning A Lot

       I have started my New Year's Resolutions, as well as one that I didn't post about before that will affect the whole family. We aren't eating any fast food for a year. After that, we hope to make it a New Year's Eve tradition and still not eat it the rest of the year. I hope we can stick to it.
      I have been doing my reading every day.  Right now, I am in Genesis for my bible reading and am only reading 2-3 chapters a day. It's very manageable and non stressful. The only problem I've had is that since this is not my first attempt to read the Bible all the way through, I have read the first half of Genesis quite a few times. I am learning new things however, since I do have a nice guided reading book on my Kindle that is asking questions and making observations about what I read, things that I wouldn't think of ordinarily. I am also doing my daily devotionals (by myself and a couple's one with Dex) and making an effort to pray more. I am also reading A Woman After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George on my Kindle and it's filled with amazing advice and information about becoming a better Christian woman and living life the way God wants me to. I have to go pick up a notebook on my lunch break, to keep notes about the books I read this year and practical applications to my life. I want a quick reference to what I should be doing to help guide me even after I read the book. I was suggested the book by Chrystal, a woman on babycenter on Tristan's baby board. I am loving the suggestion so far and will have to ask her for another after I read some more Elizabeth George books!
        I am definitely starting to feel more at peace with my life and less stressed since I have been doing this. I worried at first that I would be putting too much on myself with my goals. I thought it would make my postpartum worse to get up even earlier in the morning and to hold myself to the responsibilities of reading this and reading that, but it's actually turned out opposite. It's getting easier and easier every day to get out of bed 30 minutes earlier to read. I think I actually less tired than when I used to sleep later! And it's only been 4 days! I am also finding that I am more relaxed and pleasant throughout the day, although I definitely still have my moments, and unfortunately most of the time I end up taking it out on my husband :( I am also learning to recognize sinful behavior and have stopped myself from doing things on quite a few occasions already. I am excited to see where these choices lead me and hope to be a much different person this time next year!
       Finally, before I have to run off to work, I have started changing my morning commute radio habits. I used to listen to 106.5 in the morning or some sort of hard rock CD. Now I find myself listening to either Elevation Church worship CDs, Pastor Steven's sermons (I'm starting way back to the first sermon that is on his Podcasts), or 91.9. I feel so charged up with good energy when I get to work too!
        I'll expound on this more later, right now I have to get out the door or I'll be late for work!

No comments:

Post a Comment